From Sinner To Saint

Prone To Love...

The power of the song “Come Thou Fount” is the revelation that we can always know His Love.

The song is about a journey to the cross. It is the Good News that just keeps getting better. But the song is the begging of a story, not the end. You see, the cross is the launching pad, the foundation, the slingshot that propels us into the victorious, miraculous, greater works existence Jesus modeled and told us we had access to. The cross is only beautiful because of the empty tomb. We celebrate his death because of His resurrection. The power of Love is perfected when sinners become saints. That was the whole point of Jesus death and resurrection – that we would encounter Love and become love.

Jesus never once was “prone to wander” or “prone to leave the God He loved.” He came to earth to settle that exact issue once and for all. He came to set us free that we too might see, encounter, and become love; that we might be transformed from prone to wander to prone to love Him!

I think that if a person sings the line “prone to wander” as a testimony, it is a stunning, powerful, life-changing revelation. But when a Christian, as a proclamation, sings those lyrics, they are debilitating and destructive. While the song is brilliant theology for the sinner, it is devastating theology for the saint.

I no longer sing “prone to wander.” I can’t, it’s not true; my Dad said so. Instead, when I sing this beautiful hymn, by faith I agree with how my Father sees me. I sing, “prone to love you, Lord, I feel it, prone to serve the God I love.” And I can’t help but cry tears of joy while I sing this. Why? Because not only is it the cry of my heart, but because of my beautiful best friend Jesus, it’s true!

My journey is a headlong discovery of my Fathers love. There is no greater discovery ever made and I am learning like my grandmother, the discovery of His love sets me free to become love. In fact, my revelation of my Fathers love is what transforms me…

Jason Clark
is a writer, speaker and lead communicator at A Family Story ministries. His mission is to encourage sons and daughters to grow sure in the love of an always-good heavenly Father. He and his wife, Karen, live in North Carolina with their three children.

9 Comments

1. Bill (cycleguy)

Been reading S & U so decided to connect with you here Jason. Love your thoughts about this song. The believer has a whole new belief system to consider and to live under its influence. Thanks.

2. Jason Clark

Hey Bill, Nice to meet you! I just discovered your blog. I too am a Back to the Future fan, ha. You have an awesome blog with such a pastors heart. I will be visiting regularly. Yeah, living in the revelation and power of His love, there's nothing better!Blessings to you and yours!

3. Bill (cycleguy)

jason: tried to post a response for several days but was told Blogger was down. Anyway, thanks for the kind words. I look forward to finishing your book and following up with the DVD series in the future. I am really loving the book.

4. Bill (cycleguy)

Finished the book last night and plan to buy a copy to give to a blogging friend and also to my oldest daughter who lives in Knoxville. I am stirred.

5. Jason Clark

Bill, thanks for the comments and encouragement! I am honored when the book blesses and when someone promotes it. So good to meet you bro!

6. ninaruth

thank you thank you thank you!!!I always HATED the lyrics to that stanza & I actually sing my own (little rebel that I am, haha, but I do it quietly) in place when we sing that!

7. Jason Clark

Ha, yes! I too have been singing different lyrics for some time… "Prone to love you Lord, I feel it! Prone to serve the God I love!"Hope you are well lady! Bless ya

8. ninaruth

I am well! Still don't have a vacuum, though, LOL! But God is even giving me favor in the "prison," as He did with Joseph! In the meanwhile, I could tell I'd gotten my feet a bit dusty circling 'round the desert of some old religious habits when I popped in for a quick peek to see what you were writing these days on the blog & found an OASIS of Truth that I had forgotten! Phew!!!! 🙂

9. Jason Clark

Awesome, yay God! I pray for a new vacuum and all the blessing that come with it!

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

YOU ALSO MIGHT LIKE…

The Father Never Turned His Back

The Father never turned His back, He never left, or forsook Jesus, He never abandoned, not even for a moment. His love was just as good as it’s always been.

A Boy, A Puppy, And A Greater Faith

I believe God is always saying one thing: “I love you.” And He always follows up with a question, “do you believe me?” What would our lives look like if we could answer this one question that God is always asking?

Papa Was A Minister

After Papa dies, he was a better man; full of grace and love. My Papa was a minister. He was a good man before he died.

Seen and Known

Sometimes He speaks when it’s quiet, and sometimes when its loud. Sometimes it’s inconvenient. Right in the middle of Walmart close to Christmas. Listen. Listen. Don’t miss the chance to connect with His heart. He invites us in. He invites us to not just know Him, but to have an experience of love as we follow through.

How to Parent Like the Father

We have grown in our understanding that discipline is about revealing, releasing, and empowering identity.

Love Trumps

Jesus didn’t come to set us straight on how much we needed Him. That was abundantly clear from the moment Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit. He came to give us access to love—receiving and giving, beholding and becoming.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share this post with your friends!