From Sinner To Saint

Prone To Love...

The power of the song “Come Thou Fount” is the revelation that we can always know His Love.

The song is about a journey to the cross. It is the Good News that just keeps getting better. But the song is the begging of a story, not the end. You see, the cross is the launching pad, the foundation, the slingshot that propels us into the victorious, miraculous, greater works existence Jesus modeled and told us we had access to. The cross is only beautiful because of the empty tomb. We celebrate his death because of His resurrection. The power of Love is perfected when sinners become saints. That was the whole point of Jesus death and resurrection – that we would encounter Love and become love.

Jesus never once was “prone to wander” or “prone to leave the God He loved.” He came to earth to settle that exact issue once and for all. He came to set us free that we too might see, encounter, and become love; that we might be transformed from prone to wander to prone to love Him!

I think that if a person sings the line “prone to wander” as a testimony, it is a stunning, powerful, life-changing revelation. But when a Christian, as a proclamation, sings those lyrics, they are debilitating and destructive. While the song is brilliant theology for the sinner, it is devastating theology for the saint.

I no longer sing “prone to wander.” I can’t, it’s not true; my Dad said so. Instead, when I sing this beautiful hymn, by faith I agree with how my Father sees me. I sing, “prone to love you, Lord, I feel it, prone to serve the God I love.” And I can’t help but cry tears of joy while I sing this. Why? Because not only is it the cry of my heart, but because of my beautiful best friend Jesus, it’s true!

My journey is a headlong discovery of my Fathers love. There is no greater discovery ever made and I am learning like my grandmother, the discovery of His love sets me free to become love. In fact, my revelation of my Fathers love is what transforms me…

Jason Clark
is a writer, speaker and lead communicator at A Family Story ministries. His mission is to encourage sons and daughters to grow sure in the love of an always-good heavenly Father. He and his wife, Karen, live in North Carolina with their three children.

9 Comments

1. Bill (cycleguy)

Been reading S & U so decided to connect with you here Jason. Love your thoughts about this song. The believer has a whole new belief system to consider and to live under its influence. Thanks.

2. Jason Clark

Hey Bill, Nice to meet you! I just discovered your blog. I too am a Back to the Future fan, ha. You have an awesome blog with such a pastors heart. I will be visiting regularly. Yeah, living in the revelation and power of His love, there's nothing better!Blessings to you and yours!

3. Bill (cycleguy)

jason: tried to post a response for several days but was told Blogger was down. Anyway, thanks for the kind words. I look forward to finishing your book and following up with the DVD series in the future. I am really loving the book.

4. Bill (cycleguy)

Finished the book last night and plan to buy a copy to give to a blogging friend and also to my oldest daughter who lives in Knoxville. I am stirred.

5. Jason Clark

Bill, thanks for the comments and encouragement! I am honored when the book blesses and when someone promotes it. So good to meet you bro!

6. ninaruth

thank you thank you thank you!!!I always HATED the lyrics to that stanza & I actually sing my own (little rebel that I am, haha, but I do it quietly) in place when we sing that!

7. Jason Clark

Ha, yes! I too have been singing different lyrics for some time… "Prone to love you Lord, I feel it! Prone to serve the God I love!"Hope you are well lady! Bless ya

8. ninaruth

I am well! Still don't have a vacuum, though, LOL! But God is even giving me favor in the "prison," as He did with Joseph! In the meanwhile, I could tell I'd gotten my feet a bit dusty circling 'round the desert of some old religious habits when I popped in for a quick peek to see what you were writing these days on the blog & found an OASIS of Truth that I had forgotten! Phew!!!! 🙂

9. Jason Clark

Awesome, yay God! I pray for a new vacuum and all the blessing that come with it!

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

YOU ALSO MIGHT LIKE…

Twenty Seconds

So, what did we learn? Maybe you lost your job, or worse, you lost someone you love. Maybe you don’t see life going back to “normal.” I guess I’m writing this to assure you, maybe “normal” isn’t what you need. Maybe what you need is twenty seconds of insane courage to begin living a better life. I know life was probably good before the shutdown, but what if it could be better?

The Emmaus Road

Jesus, the Stranger, joins me on my journey; His reconciling love burns within me and invites me to recognize and awaken to the burning. Jesus’ love invites me into mystery and revelation until I am reflecting my redeemer, discovering and yielding to His image and likeness within me, so I would know union, that we might be one.

MARK KARRIS/ RELIGIOUS REFUGEES

With grace and insight, Mark speaks on the disorienting faith shift so many are currently experiencing regarding their thoughts about God, the church, and ourselves. We dive into Mark’s new book, Religious Refugees, and Mark encourages those who, because of a shift in their theology, have either felt a sense of not belonging in their home church or have even been rejected.

The Oscillating God?

And when the valley of the shadow of death is upon us, that’s when we must know to our core that our Fathers nature doesn’t change. God isn’t fickle. He hasn’t gotten tired of us or changed His mind about us. He hasn’t turned His heart from us; He’s not judging us or condemning us. He is still the same always-good Love He has always been.

What Am I Still Lacking?

The young fella replied, “All these I have kept; what am I still lacking?”…“What am I still lacking? It’s a good question, a recognition that something is missing, an acknowledgment that something still doesn’t measure up, a confession of incompleteness. What am I still lacking? is the conclusion of living in the context of law instead of grace. What am I still lacking? is the beginning and end of every transactional approach to God.

The Crisis of Identity

If the story of Jesus’ life had a battle it was a daily fight for identity. If His story had an antagonist, it was doubt, better known as unbelief. And each time Jesus was confronted with the crisis of identity He chose to believe what His Father had said about Him from the very beginning. Jesus was sure in His identity.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share this post with your friends!